DIY Curtains


Welcome to my first DIY tutorial. 
Today you will mostly learn that I cannot sew, PERIOD. Mama tried to teach me, it just didn't take. I have attempted multiple times over the years and honestly, I just don't have the patience. Last year I attempted to repair the hem of our  North Carolina flag, after getting the hem caught on a nail. The stitch lines would have been better if a toddler had done it (it also fell apart within a week). So, we settled and ordered a new one. Needless to say, this is going to be no-sew. 

I found this tutorial years ago when we still lived in Black Mountain, I pinned it into a 
Pinterest board for "new house" and moved along. Then, when we moved into Grace Hal (with 10 ft ceilings) I quickly discovered any curtain longer than 84" was going to cost my left arm and MAYBE my leg too. So I pulled out this tutorial and never looked back!

Supplies
You will need, for one window;
2 Twin size flat sheets from Wal-mart, Target or Amazon
+
Scissors

Standard twin flat sheets are 96x66, which is why I love these curtains, wide curtains just look so beautiful and thick hanging beside your window.
Unfortunately, upon writing this I discovered Wal-Mart has discontinued the exact flat sheet I used for 6 of my windows. This was concerning to me, so I went to my local Wal-Mart at 8am to investigate, and discovered they are replacing them with a slightly nicer version that will be around $6 instead of $4. They are not released yet, but my Wal-mart had already tagged the shelves for them, so they must be coming out soon. I did check some other retailers for options. Target sells white flat sheets but they're a little over $10 a piece. Amazon would probably be the second best option, as they offer 6 white flat sheets for $36 Prime. 


 I personally love a "tab back" curtain (see image above). So, that's what I did! Using the wide hem end of the sheet, take the BACK piece of fabric and pull away from the front so as not to cut all the way through. Then cut a small 1" slit at the very end of the sheet, right before the seam, then 4" or so (I eyeball it) in, I cut another 1" slit and then 4" from that, another 1" slit. Keep doing this all the way down and just continue until the end, where the last slit needs to be right at the hem like the first slit. After I have finished I like to starch and iron the top in order for the curtain top to look extra crispy.
(The best starch EVER)

This is such a versatile way of "making" curtains. If you don't like tab back you can cut slits at the end and have a standard curtain, or if you want to invest in curtain rings, there are a million different ways to style curtains with those! 
The single flat sheets come in multiple colors but, I personally love white material in my home, #1 its bleach-able, #2 it goes with everything. 

I realize this is not for everyone, Im sure there are multiple people already envisioning Mickey Mouse sheets hanging in a 1987 single wide window (if you like that, that's your business). This is REALLY not that. People always comment on my curtains and when I say they're sheets, they just can't believe it. 
Clean, crisp & affordable. What more could you ask for? 

Comments

Popular Posts