5 Things Your Grandmother Did That You Should Too


The other day I posted a picture of stringin’ beans on the front porch and it got me thinking about all of the bygone things our grandmothers did, that are slowly fading away. So, I sat down and wrote the top five things that I personally want to keep alive for my children and grandchildren. I would say these are mental heirlooms, and maybe they’re more important than tangible ones. 

ONE.

 Linen's on the Line.

Hands down if I could sleep in one bed for the rest of my life it would be my Aunt Jean's. Her sheets smell and feel like heaven. If you go into her linen closet, she can tell you when she got each set of sheets. 90% of them were purchased prior to 1975 and they look like they just came out of their packaging. Do you want to know why they lasted so long? They have never ever seen the inside of a dryer. EVER. She hangs all of her linens on the line.  Fabric, specifically cotton, is at its weakest when it is wet, so when you throw it in a dryer to flop around in insanely high temperatures it is destroying the fibers and elastic. I realize the modern family doesn't have a clothes line, I certainly don't. I personally hang my sheets on the porch rails. This might not be good curb appeal, but the people driving by don't buy your sheets do they? I also dry quilts and table cloths this way, as well as a few garments of clothing. If I'm in a pinch, like extensive rain or wind, then I will drape them across my dining chairs or on the stair rails. Our generation is so inclined to do everything the fastest way, but what does it cost you in the long run?  Not to mention there is nothing better than fresh sheets from outside. 

Two.

 Stringin' Beans

One of the things I remember most fondly from growing up is stringin' beans on the front porch with my Grandmother, Mother and Aunts. I can still hear my Mama saying "break that bean to get the strings". This was very important because if you have ever had to eat stringy green beans, you know it's kind of like trying to chew through wire. Recently I have seen so many nostalgic posts about the "good old days" of stringin' beans. It breaks my heart that such a necessary task of yesteryear is becoming obsolete. I loved stringin' beans and still do, I think it’s almost calming. But the thing I loved most about it when I was little was the laughter and gossip that came with it. So many things are depended on from a can or prepackaged in the grocery store now. I fully plan on continuing this chore with my children. I also think that everything taste better fresh, and there is nothing fresher than a big pot of porch strung beans. 

Three.

Dressing Well

When our Grandmothers were young "Sunday Best" was worn to the grocery store, doctors appointments, junior league meetings, shopping trips, and basically anywhere that wasn't home. I can only imagine my Grandmother's face if she saw the people in their pajamas in Wal-Mart. Even when I was growing up, no matter how sick you were, you were to shower, brush your teeth, and put on something nice to go to the doctors office. I can count on one hand the number of times I have gotten into my car with pajamas on. Mostly due to my Mamas voice in the back of my head saying " what if you wreck and people see you like that?". She was always concerned about appearance. Personally, I feel better when I'm dressed, and I don't mean in a graphic tee and jeans (if that's your thing, keep on keeping on).You do not have to have lots of money to dress well. I'm personally a big fan of the capsule wardrobe, I believe it helps you to pull yourself together, and prevents unnecessary spending on trendy items. Capsule wardrobes, though only recently named, are basically keeping a small supply of items that never go out of style. Black flats, dark jeans, white button up's, little black dresses and pea-coats are just a few (think Audrey Hepburn). You can always add trendy accessories or shoes, that's completely up to you. When you look good you feel good and I think that's something we can all get behind.

Four.

Early to bed, Early to Rise

My Grandparents were up every morning at 6 am and in bed by 7:30 pm. My parents were up everyday by 5 am and in bed by 8 pm. I personally went to bed at 9 pm until I got married. I have always been on a schedule and I believe this has helped me as an adult. Even now, at 27 I go to bed every night by 10 pm and get up by 7:30 am. If I sleep later than 8 am I feel like I'm already wasting the day. There is just something about the still of the morning. I love having my coffee on the porch before it 90 degrees. Our Grandmothers would have the entire house cleaned and mopped by 9am and our generation is barely moving by 10! When I was young I despised being woken up at the crack of dawn, but now that Im older, I appreciate not having slept my life away. 

Five.

Keep a tidy house.

To me, this is the hardest one. I don't know how my Grandmother did it. 12 children in a 2 bedroom house. I don't even have children and I cant keep up with the laundry, let alone the dishes, dusting and sweeping. That was certainly a different time, my Grandmother never worked (I could only be so lucky).But, I wish I knew her secrets, her schedule and rituals around the house. The older I get the better I am about picking up as I walk through, and that definitely helps. I think the biggest thing is holding yourself accountable. If I see something out of place, I should place it where it goes. If I see a candy wrapper, throw it away. The little things help cleaning to not be such a big deal at the end of a long week. I hate feeling like if someone stopped by right now, I would be so embarrassed at the disarray of my living room. Our Grandmothers never ever felt that way. They expected people to pop in any minute. I want to be like that. I want people to come over unannounced. I want my home to be where people want to come and sit on the porch a while.   

Xoxo, 

Shelby C. 



Comments

Popular Posts